So Happy I Could Die

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brenden Sullivan's Account of Gaga's Early Years

Mikal
    Mikal
    Administrator
    Administrator

Bio : My life is a play.

Brenden Sullivan's Account of Gaga's Early Years Empty Brenden Sullivan's Account of Gaga's Early Years

Post by Mikal 7/21/2013, 9:48 pm

Brenden Sullivan's Account of Gaga's Early Years Tumblr_lzrs25TiX61r2k3h6o1_1280
    Gaga and Brenden Sullivan

As big a star as Lady Gaga is — she was recently named No. 2 on Forbes’ list of the world’s most powerful celebrities, behind only Oprah — it wasn’t that long ago that she clamored simply for the chance to sing in a Lower East Side bar.

As Gaga re-enters the spotlight with her new album, “ARTPOP,” coming this fall, Sullivan, her longtime friend and former DJ, has penned a touching memoir, “Rivington Was Ours: Lady Gaga, the Lower East Side, and the Prime of Our Lives” (It Books), which recalls Gaga’s mid-aughts on the LES. Stardom and riches had yet to replace a run-down apartment on Stanton Street and the excitement of getting to play Pianos on Ludlow for the first time.

When Sullivan first met Stefani Germanotta, she was 20, had a record deal with Island Records and was dating a heavy-metal drummer and bar manager named Luc Carl — whom Sullivan depicts as inattentive and possessive, often dictating whom she could talk to and where she could work, and regularly ignoring her in order to flirt with any young cutie who crossed his path.

Sullivan and Gaga became fast friends, and the night she learned that she would be recording an album, she excitedly shared the news with her new friend while Carl “became distracted by a small coterie of drunk girls.”“The underage girl looked a little lost,” writes Sullivan of Germanotta. “Even her own boyfriend didn’t have time for her.” But as they helped each other through troublesome relationships, Sullivan learned that there was more to this talented spitfire than met the eye.

“She had an innate social intelligence that made her approachable to everyone,” Sullivan writes. “Gaga’s genius was in her ability to mirror those around her . . . If you thought she was a bit dumb, it was probably because she thought you were not that bright and didn’t try to say anything over your head.”

Gaga was also single-minded in her ambitions.

When Sullivan’s girlfriend broke up with him, Gaga implored him to read the book “The Secret,” trying to persuade him to visualize getting his ex back the same way, he writes, that Gaga had visualized one day playing Madison Square Garden. “Roll your eyes all you want,” she said. “But you have to have a vision for what you want. You have to picture it in your mind.”

‘Do you expect me to fit inside of this cake?”

Gaga was preparing for a performance, in honor of a friend’s birthday, unlike any before for her, as it would have her popping out of a fake cake — really a barrel — at Beauty Bar on 14th Street. The barrel was too small for her, but Gaga, ever the trouper, would make it work, despite the “tremble of intimidation” in her voice when she asked, “Are we really doing this?”

“Thing about Gaga was she physically needed to perform, but she had to perform big,” Sullivan writes, later adding, “This was the first time anyone in Manhattan had seen this Lady Gaga, the new performance artist.”

At midnight on the appointed night, Sullivan, who was DJ’ing, cut the music, brought up the birthday boy, and said, “Mr. President . . .” Gaga’s hand popped out of the massive “cake” they had constructed, and he yelled, “Marilyn Monroe!” Stepping out onto a platform, Gaga sang “Happy Birthday” over a recording of Monroe doing the same and crushed the actress’ voice to a “thunderous cheer.”

“Everyone in the whole bar had one eye shining on her . . . She had a new spirit in her,” he writes. “I hoped she never played outdoors ever again.” Gaga played Beauty Bar, Pianos and more, becoming a downtown fixture as Island Records dropped her. But if the labels hadn’t yet cottoned to her brilliance, the locals knew. At one bar gig, Gaga go-go-danced alongside a friend’s band — and halfway through a song, she “crawled on stage on all fours,” the crowd loving “this feral creature . . . crawling around the wires and guitar pedals” before being handed the mike and emitting a shriek “like the lonely captive of a harem.”

“The girl we all used to ignore,” notes Sullivan, “had become a central focus.”

The first original song she played for Sullivan “began with a harsh beat, a decaying synth horn, and a backwards-bass effect.” As it played, Gaga shouted, “I wrote this for him!” explaining that since Carl liked only heavy metal and “doesn’t like my sing-songy piano ballads,” she would perform “music to impress him, so I can be close to him.” She laid out an image in the lyrics of photographers chasing her as she chased Carl and then sang to him, calling him “Papa” — which she then expanded to “Paparazzi,” the title of the song that would later become the fourth from her debut album to top Billboard’s Pop Songs chart.

“This is just the beginning,” Gaga told Sullivan that night, after playing him several more tracks. “I don’t even just want to be a singer forever. I’m going to be a producer. I’m going to bring in young bands and help them develop. I am going to be the grandmother of pop.”

Gaga continued trying to cement her image, but not every move seemed as brilliant as her songs. Sullivan recalls the time his friend “walked up to me silent, sheepish and biting her lower lip.” As she gazed downward, Sullivan saw that “her thick, dark, raven-haired Italian mane had been fried on her head,” and that “what normally swung free and full of life now clumped together, strings of mismatched lengths like a toupee.”

“You’re blond,” he noted with surprise, telling her that she looked great, while really thinking that she looked like “one of the Golden Girls,” with “her hair broken off in some places, mangling her haircut.” She explained that her management wanted a new look for her and told her that she needed to be “blond with olive skin.”

“Rivington Street was aghast at the change,” Sullivan writes. “Already, people talked about her ‘selling out,’ which is also known as ‘doing her job’ or ‘having a job.’ Alien concepts around here.”

While Gaga realized that her hair would have to be redone, her “thick, lustrous, Italian hair” having been replaced by “the kind of dead, gassed-out, NutraSweet-and-iced-tea blond you see in truck stops,” she did note one advantage to her new look. Her boyfriend loved it, since, she said as she rolled her eyes, “He likes f--king a blonde.” Gaga soon landed a deal with Interscope and had the hack-job hairdo replaced with a look of sleek platinum, with Sullivan writing that “bleaching the surface of her hair made Gaga walk like a star.”

And he’s there when Gaga and Carl finally break up (though they would later get back together before finally separating for good). Angry at the way Carl ignores her, Gaga tells him — correctly, it seems — “One day you’re not going to be able to get a coffee in a f--king deli without seeing or hearing about me.”

Full article: http://www.nypost.co...JkrNEm2BWd6lfvI

Current date/time is 4/26/2024, 6:00 am